BSOD

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
bierbaer
Co-Founder

BSOD

Post by bierbaer » Thursday 10. December 2015, 19:26

Yay ran into a BSOD yesterday when I accidently clicked on "Install updates and reboot" instead of shutdown. So instead of hitting the sack I tried to fix it till 1am, to no avail though.
Currently trying to "Refresh the PC" in repair mode, doesn't look promising though. Well thanks to bloody Microsoft Updates I'll finally come to a Win10 installation it seems. In the meantime the hdd starts to make funny noises so hopefully its not waving goodbye as well.
Catch ya later...at some point...lol

bb

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Re: BSOD

Post by bierbaer » Thursday 10. December 2015, 20:09

"Refresh PC" wouldn't work either as my DVD drive didn't bother to read the Win 8.1 DVD. Awesome!
So down to last option. Booting from USB flash drive. Wait...I know there's somewhere one USB flash drive. Where did I put it? I haven't used one in years! lol
Tried to trick Windows media creation tool to try a 500 GB USB HDD but Windows was smarter and detected it that it was not an USB flash drive. Where was the USB flash drive again?
Ah I just remembered, I still got one in my car. You know back from the time where smartphones weren't really smart phones yet and you connected an USB flash drive to your car radio... So trying this dunno 7 years old USB flash drive now. Windows media creation tool is at 41%.

bb

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Thursday 10. December 2015, 22:44

Yeah of course booting via USB didn't work. Motherboard should be roughly 7 years old, haven't done a firmware update. But luckily the "Refresh PC" function was working via USB. I wanted to try that before flushing my BIOS.
The interesting part with "Refresh PC" is that it completly wipes everything from your OS partition but the user content (profile). So you'd have to install any program you had before again but still got access to your desktop and your document folder (good for backup).
I think I'll get a new HDD tomorrow just in case this one is about to die. Which as well means I'd have to start over with Win 8.1 installation -> upgrade to Win 10. Glad I got a day off tomorrow lol

bb

Eesti
Communication & Recruiting Officer

Post by Eesti » Friday 11. December 2015, 01:12

Wish i could speak same language......
Communication & Recruiting Officer

NY75
Noob

Post by NY75 » Friday 11. December 2015, 03:06

Bb I have found lots of issues with 10. Took about 8 or 9 attempts to get it to install right on my pc. It didn't like my Vpn connections. I have learned so far that nuts crazy quirky on the back end but the seamless ability to go from a tablet to of is nice. It has promise but I'm not sold yet.

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Friday 11. December 2015, 14:45

rgrt. I'm going to do it now as I don't want to be bothered again within the next 1 or 2 months.
Got a new SSD and while i was at it, bought a new headset as well. Just couldn't resist *cough*
Creating image for Win 10 now though I guess gotta flush my BIOS first as I just confirmed that my DVD drive is not functioning anymore.

bb

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Friday 11. December 2015, 17:29

Win 10 is up and running. Configurating the rest now. One odd issue, Microsoft doesn't accept my Office 2013 Profession Plus license key anymore even tho it was just running fine until 2 days ago? Well got 30 days to figure that one out lol

bb

Boudreau

Post by Boudreau » Friday 11. December 2015, 21:24

Had the same problem on my other puter with 10 pro on it. They want you to use their website version of office apps. Just have to have a Microsoft Acct. Something like that. Think they're tryin to sell apps like Apple.

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Friday 11. December 2015, 22:47

Hmm odd. Couldn't come up with anything via google. How did you resolve this?
I do have a Windows live account but not sure how this could be the solution.

bb

NY75
Noob

Post by NY75 » Saturday 12. December 2015, 04:49

You can. Link your license to your windows live account I believe