Windows 10?

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
Sascha

Re: Windows 10?

Post by Sascha » Saturday 30. July 2016, 10:38

Let me see if I can recall all that stuff re keys.

I didn't have a Win 8.1 or Win10 key... just my Win 8 key, printed in ridiculously small and illegible characters on the Win8-DVD's sleeve. I had to take a pic of it with my cellphone and then zoom that pic in all the way to be able to make out the characters, lol!

When my SSD croaked and I had to re-install everything, I couldn't use that key for anything but installing Win 8 from the DVD. Which is quite a pain, since Win8 lacks a bunch of drivers and other stuff that Win 8.1 comes with out of the box. Getting my network-stuff to run to just get onto the internet was a nightmare with that fresh Win 8-installation.

But then BB posted a link to a MS-page allowing me to make a bootable Win 8.1 image/installation-medium (I used my laptop to make a bootable USB-stick). And with this method, I *could* use my old Win8-key to immediately put Win 8.1 on my new SSD and then upgrade to Win10 without a problem.

Check out my "dead SSD"-thread here for some details:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=445

My *guess* is that if you took up their offer for the free upgrade to Win10, you will be able to still use the same method to get from your original OS to Win10 in the future. But: I'm only guessing here.

S.

knotking

Re: Windows 10?

Post by knotking » Sunday 14. August 2016, 02:54

I like it, its slick and boots up fast.

I switched back as I play Silent Hunter III off of steam and it doesnt play it under windows 10. Otherwise I thought it was pretty good.