Windows 10?

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
Hastien
Commanding Officer

Windows 10?

Post by Hastien » Thursday 21. July 2016, 00:36

S! Whips and others. So windows 10 free upgrade is almost over. I was wondering if I should do the upgrade, or just keep windows 7? They no longer do support for windows 7 and would be missing out on security type upgrades. I am more worried that it might mess up programs that i have installed and more important game crashes, signatures not working or any other potential problems. I have see a couple horror stories of the game not working, sound issues and loss of data. So please anyone that has updated, give me your pros and cons. I want the most info i can get to make my list before i do or dont do this. Thanks in advance for anyone that has answered it is great appreciated.

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Re: Windows 10?

Post by bierbaer » Thursday 21. July 2016, 15:17

No issues here at all. Did a full Windows install multiple times by now with windows 10 and had no issues. It's very smooth. Got no clue about your applications though. Might be worthy to check if they are windows 10 compatible before you upgrade.
Personally, I wouldn't go for the upgrade but for a full install instead - which means loss of desktop and any user content in your profile. But nothing which cannot be stored beforehand.

bb

Eesti
Communication & Recruiting Officer

Post by Eesti » Thursday 21. July 2016, 17:16

No issue either here

(Wish I could give you a more detailed explanation, but.... not technical wizz enough to tell you anything else, except maybe that my computer case is black, and has blue lights...)

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Friday 22. July 2016, 21:08

S! Eesti your to funny man. Almost fell out of my chair reading that. Its ok by the way. Im going to install this weekend after i say sig files to BB server first.

Eesti

Post by Eesti » Saturday 23. July 2016, 03:32

Good move hastien! Seriously, i think my blue lights are brignter since Windows 10! Hope you will have same awesome results!

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Saturday 23. July 2016, 15:18

S! ROFL. Wow.

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Sunday 24. July 2016, 15:51

S! Just finished installing windows 10. Havent seen any real issues so far. I will try to test the sound and game out here soon. Mom and dad coming down to see baby so I'm getting house ready for them. I should be back on hopefully. Wife leaves Wednesday for a conference where she is a speaker, so I might not be on until then. Miss the squad and hearing you all, should have never taken out the surround sound speakers and traded them for headset. At least then I could listen to the battle comms and I hope the map is going well. See you all soon.

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Sunday 24. July 2016, 18:10

You can run both. your surround sound system should come with a unit for the desktop/table area where you can control the volume. Those units at least have one audio input. I'd say nowadays they probably have a mic input as well. My surround system is the oldest part of my rig. I think I bought it in 2001.
If I want to hear via surround sound I just unplug the audio cable from the unit on my desktop. If I'm switching back to headset I just plug it in again. It just lays next to my mouse.
I got an extra cable for the mic tho, leading from the rig to the table, basically laying next to the volume control unit. I just plug the mic from the headset in there. It's in there 100% of the time regardless if I hear via headset or surround sound.

bb

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Friday 29. July 2016, 17:01

Running Win10 on both my desktop and laptop and can't complain. I did hesitate at first (why do we always assume a new Windows version is bad or "evil"?, lol), but now I'm glad I took the free upgrade. After all: It got me from Win 8 (not 8.1) to Win10 for free and without too much hassle. Well, the latter part was down to some good advice by BB as to how to go from a Win 8 DVD to a Win 10 online-installation when I had to swap out my SDD a few weeks back.

In short:

EDIT:
Just finished installing windows 10.
Oops.. :D

S.

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Friday 29. July 2016, 21:27

S! Everyone. Since I did the upgrade I was looking for the Windows Key. I'm worried that if something goes wrong and have to redo computer they will want to charge me for new install if I do not have the Key. Ive looked for it and can not find it. If they reused my old key then, will it work if the free version no longer available, and I use my old 7 key for the windows 10. Just would like to have my avenues covered if I need to use them. reason I ask, I don't remember it asking me to activate my windows key, hence me thinking that they used old 7 key for upgrade.