Now my PC went crazy...

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
Sascha

Now my PC went crazy...

Post by Sascha » Monday 30. May 2016, 21:54

Repost from WW2ONL's board:

OK... looks like I'm fugged.

Scanned the SSD for errors again and it found some .. again.

Started the repair process and it didn't work this time .. Windows went into "safe" pre-boot/repair mode (low res blue-screen thing), offering me to "refresh" the installation. Which I tried to do, but it wouldn't accept my (legit) Windows 8 DVD when I inserted it. Said it was "invalid" maybe because I am on Windows 8.1 now? But I never bought a copy of 8.1 but upgraded to it online, so I only *have* the Win8 DVD.. WTF?

Anyway: PC won't boot to desktop any longer, saying that "errors occured" ... well.. thanks for that.

I just started another repair process which (according to Windows) can take over an hour, but I'm not optimistic. Next step is probably to re-install the whole thing, see if that works. If not, I guess I have to accept the fact that my SSD has gone bad after just 2 years and with a (supposed) 90% of its lifespan left (according to the OCZ SSD-tools).

*sigh*

S.

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Re: Now my PC went crazy...

Post by bierbaer » Monday 30. May 2016, 22:24

Probably best to exchange the hdd. i had this happen couple months ago. It was getting worse, reinstalled once then eventually went for a new ssd. If you still have access to the internet via a pc and have a flash drive download the 8.1 image via windows media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/softwar ... d/windows8. Boot via USB. You should be able to use your 8 key on the 8.1 image

bb

Eesti
Communication & Recruiting Officer

Post by Eesti » Tuesday 31. May 2016, 03:32

Knock upper left corner of the screen......
Communication & Recruiting Officer

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Tuesday 31. May 2016, 16:39

Thanks BB. Piss off, Eesti! :D

Just bought the new SSD (Samsung 850 Evo, 500 GB for 135 Euros ... not too bad).

Making a bootable USB-stick right now ... I just hope my Win 8 key will work for 8.1 .. it should work, but seeing how 8.1 wouldn't accept my Win 8-DVD for the "refresh"/repair-option, I'm a bit worried here. Oh well.. if it doesn't work, I'll have to install Win 8, update it then install 8.1 and (maybe) Win 10 after that.

Luckily, this Samsung SSD now has a 5 year warranty... let's see how long this one lasts.

BTW: Tried using the old SSD before again, but right after I installed the "basic" MoBo stuff (chipset drivers, LAN-driver, etc), it came back with yet another "This drive may contain potential errors"-message, so I'm pretty sure it's shot.

Keep your fingers crossed for me - I'll try to get online later tonight, but no promises.. gotta re-install a whole bunch of crap before this PC is game-ready again... :(

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Tuesday 31. May 2016, 18:15

Upgrading to Win 10 now.

After that.. a bunch of drivers and SW-Installation.. but at least no more errors so far, so I'm thinking that the SSD-swap was the right thing to do.