For your viewing pleasure: IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
Sascha

For your viewing pleasure: IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad

Post by Sascha » Thursday 19. May 2016, 15:05

Don't know how many here like to fly (other than Balthzar), but here's a short video of my first mission in BoS:

Enjoy!

Iksi

Re: For your viewing pleasure: IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad

Post by Iksi » Thursday 19. May 2016, 15:16

Good flying and good leads! I have bos and bom, its a very nice looking sim. I just wish the single player campaign was better and that it had coop mode for online play..The original il2 gameplay with bos/bom graphics would be incredible i think:)

Syd
Voro's osito & forums admin

Post by Syd » Thursday 19. May 2016, 15:44

It's that online?

Graphics are impressive

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Thursday 19. May 2016, 15:56

Nope.. that's the offline-campaign.. haven't tried online-mode yet.

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Tuesday 5. July 2016, 10:39

FW 190 was on sale on Steam (€10 ... still a bit much for one plane, IMO) and since I still had like €12 in my Steam-Wallet, I bought it.

BoS seems to have some difficulties with Bandicam on my system when I capture "live", so I recorded the mission within the game, then captured during playback in the mission-recorder. Mission was flown with icons on (but otherwise "full real") - I only switched icons off in the recorder to get rid of those terrible neon-signs spoiling the visuals..:) I wish there was a way to get icons like we have in WW2ONL with shorter ID-/color-range and which will fade back to grey/nothing when you lose the plane from your view for too long. Flying without icons (especially under these conditions with white planes against a white landscape) isn't an option for me. Not a lot of fun to be pressing your nose against the screen the whole time to search for a few pixels on the horizon... :D

Gotta say though that if the 190 and the 109 F-4 were like this in WW2ONL, I'd never get out of the F-4. IL-2's 190 seems pretty sluggish, extremely touchy when you try to pull any sort of maneuvers and since you have to "unlock" the outer cannon first, it also lacks a bit of punch initially. You can see at least one near accelerated stall in the video (when I'm going nose down and the plane nearly snap-rolls on me) plus you can hear quite a few more near accelerated stalls (the game announces stalls with a special "wind noise"-kind of sound). Accelerated stall = plane stalls on you at higher speeds due to too much elevator input under G-load.

OTOH, the cockpit looks awesome (just like all cockpits in the game) and the gunsight-view seems a lot better than in WW2ONL - although I still think that either the pilot is still sitting too low or the game lacks the 190's RL characteristic of flying with a nose-down attitude in level flight, thus limiting the visibility over the nose during firing passes a bit too much.

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Monday 11. July 2016, 22:46

Just unlocked the 37mm AT-guns for the Stuka. God, I wish we had this config in WW2ONL.. :D

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Monday 11. July 2016, 23:00

Ground grapics look way more realisitic from above than in bge. but guess would be too deadly for infantry

bb

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Tuesday 12. July 2016, 11:38

bierbaer wrote:Ground grapics look way more realisitic from above than in bge. but guess would be too deadly for infantry

bb
Well... I did fly that mission with icons on. The recording is from the mission-playback-feature within the game where you can de-activate icons when watching your recorded tracks. Not *that* easy to track ground objects without the help of icons (they pop up at around 2.5km).

OTOH, the video has some issues when looking at the ground (just like some of my WW2 Online videos). For some reason, Corel Video Studio is acting up on me and gets video and audio badly out of sync, so I had to use Movie Maker for this one which seems to increase the "blurriness" once looking at those ground textures. Plus the recorded tracks lose the original zoom-settings I used when flying once I start using external views during playback/editing. All of the shots I took were done at max zoom level in the game, which the recording doesn't show.

And while BoS doesn't have a lot of infantry running around, the models exist. You'll have random ground crews walk around airfields or tankers/truckers bail out of their damaged vehicles and AT gunners leaving their damaged guns. And those guys are really hard to see from the air.

It's also important to note that BoS has some weird stuff going on with ground clutter, specifically the tall grass you see the tanks roll through at the start of the video. That stuff has a very short render-distance in the game (to keep FPS high, I suppose?) and you can't do anything to increase its render-distance (game uses "locked" graphics-presets to provide an even playing field online). When driving a tank this is pretty obvious, since you constantly think there are "clear spots" ahead of you in the terrain, only to find out that there is more grass there once you get into render-distance.

Not a huge deal when flying (except on airfields when taxiing), but on the ground it becomes pretty clear that the game's map/terrain was built around planes.

S.