PSU died

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
bierbaer
Co-Founder

Re: PSU died

Post by bierbaer » Tuesday 10. May 2016, 08:43

Syd wrote:
bierbaer wrote:involve even more costs than just replacing the board itself (cpu, ram). Is there any diagnostics I can do while the rig is running?
You can check voltages on BIOS
Yeah good idea, will check

bb

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Tuesday 10. May 2016, 12:05

Take out the PSU and take it to a half-way competent PC-vendor to have it checked? Not much sense in buying a new PSU if you're not sure if your old one is ok or not.

If you do need a new one:

www.bequiet.com/de/

Some of the best PSUs out there - and it's even a German company.. :)

And BTW: 1300W? Really? :D What kind of HW do you have hooked up to that thing? Running a microwave-oven through your PSU or something? ;)

njord88

Post by njord88 » Wednesday 11. May 2016, 06:31

bierbaer wrote:
njord88 wrote:just a question bb, when u press the on and off button, does it make a sound as if its gonna start? our dosent do anything?
Yeah I can see and hear the PSU fan starting and stopping within a second or two. After it stops the PC re-attempts to start after like 3-5 seconds or so.

bb
I had a similar problem! i turn off pc normaly, next day i tried to start pc, fan started to turn, pc off, then some secs later it try to back on, and did the same thing, turn on after many attempts! It wasen`t PSU.

it was my BIOS that for some reason had problems, i just updated pc stated normaly! dont know if it will work for u!

other things u can do, is clean your pc, maybe the porblem is not our PSU, maybe is on a offboard stuff!

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Wednesday 11. May 2016, 15:09

S! I would try the bios first and see if that maybe the problem. Then i would test my PSU. If you lived closer i would let you borrow a few of mine that I have to test. If you have a good friend ask him if he wouldnt mind using his for a quick test. Windows has a memory test that you can run on start up and also a computer repair if the PSU isnt the problem. Usually in most cases, if a computer doesnt start up your bios, which is the first step in the boot sequence is usually the problem. I would reflash my bios and then move on from there. Also, most motherboards has a speaker which makes the start up beeper noise. if yours isnt on there like mine, it maybe beeping to tell you there is a problem like memory or bios. To reflash your bios put on memory stick. Some mother boards has a USB port that has a button along side for you to hold while start up is going to tell to use the USB stick for reflash. It will have a color next to it, then will change to another color. When that color changes you can let loose of button and let it run. I hope you get it fixed soon and let us all know what problem it actually was. Sometimes a memory card or memory slot maybe the problem as well. GL and hope its not MB and if so, hopefully not the CPU as well.

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Wednesday 11. May 2016, 15:49

It was a high end rigt back then when I bought it. Can't really remember when though. I think it was 2008/2009. I remember that the video card I had in there in the beginning was eating up a lot of watt on startup and under load. Thats why there is a 1300w PSU in it. Since then I only changed some RAMs, HDDs and the video card itself. The board (ASUS Rampage extreme) and the PSU are still original. Havent flashed the BIOS at all since I got the rig.

I will investigate Friday / Saturday. Not feeling like having to put any effort into this in the evening during the week. Unless it wont start at all anymore of course ;)

bb

Eesti
Communication & Recruiting Officer

Post by Eesti » Wednesday 11. May 2016, 15:57

if it works like the old black and white TV I had back in College, have you tried to knock it on the upper right corner?

Worked pretty good for me, back then........
Communication & Recruiting Officer

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Wednesday 11. May 2016, 23:10

S!. i was going to say did you remember to fed the squirrel inside there. he maybe dead in his spinning wheel if you havent.

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Thursday 12. May 2016, 01:19

I remember that the video card I had in there in the beginning was eating up a lot of watt on startup and under load.
Ahh.. probably one of those legendarily power-hungry GF GTX 2XX series? I seem to remember the higher end cards of that series had a reputation for insane power-needs (well over 200 Watts) and it was one of those cards (280? 275? can't remember) that fried my PSU back then. I upgraded an older system to that card without bothering to check my PSU's specs. Was a no-name PSU that *should* have been able to handle the power on paper (just), but the card did kill it fairly quickly.. :)

S.

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Thursday 12. May 2016, 22:06

PC wouldn't start at all today. I was thinking if there were other symptoms which I missed so far. And yes there are. During the week I had two more symptoms. I took the pc off power multi times this week. Every time it finally started I ran into an error on the boot sequence. I had to load bios standard configuration (f2) to continue the boot procedure. This happened every time the rig finally started.
Secondly once I was up in windows the clock was always wrong. Mostly time was set to the evening before.

This just lead me to a dead CMOS battery. So I was wondering if a dead CMOS battery could lead to a PC not booting. So i hit google. And yes, there were guys having the very same issue as I have. They changed the battery and all was good. They failed to understand, so do I, why a dead battery would cause that. They guess it's not a complete circuit anymore with the dead battery. I'm gonna get a new one tomorrow and will let you know

bb

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Thursday 12. May 2016, 23:35

They failed to understand, so do I, why a dead battery would cause that. They guess it's not a complete circuit anymore with the dead battery.
My guess is that if the battery is dead, the CMOS-data gets lost... no CMOS/BIOS = no boot-up.