PSU died

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
bierbaer
Co-Founder

PSU died

Post by bierbaer » Sunday 8. May 2016, 10:54

Looks like my PSU died. Well I hope it is the PSU. PC won't start at all. Hope it is not the board. Of course on a sunday where all shops have closed. Grrr

bb

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Re: PSU died

Post by bierbaer » Sunday 8. May 2016, 12:33

Hmm ok its running again. I was just giving it a last attempt. It was behaving like a dead car battery. It's attempting to start but won't succeed. I noticed it tries to start up a couple times once you hit the power button but failed. On the 3rd attempt it suddenly started up. It's a 1300 watt psu so there's enough watt to power all consumers. Wondering if the psu is faulty (probably 5-6 years old) or a consumer which needs too much power all of the sudden. Guess I wont shut it down anytime soon today lol

bb

Iksi

Post by Iksi » Sunday 8. May 2016, 13:13

Oh that sucks Bierbar, but in the same time i think its within the usual timespec for a psu to work.. Its still not fun when it happens ofcourse!

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Sunday 8. May 2016, 17:29

S! i had one that did that earlier in my career and found out it was not putting out the amount of power at a constant rate that was the problem. i would try another power supply if you have one lying around. I used one from work just as a test to see if it was the problem and returned it when i was finished testing it. I dont know if you can do that. It sounds like a surge to me or maybe the button on your tower is going out. Dont know because i cannot hear what is going on. I would attempt to test PSU first. I hope you get it fixed soon, but in T/S right now there are only 4 people on so i dont think your missing much.

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Monday 9. May 2016, 19:44

Hmmm same thing today. It wouldnt start. Tried many times. Thought screw it, went for a smoke and hit google on the smartphone. It tends to lead to motherboard issues and I thought oh noes. Came back to the PC thought might try again and it started right away.
I unplugged most of the consumers when it wouldnt start up so I thought, yeah must be the motherboard. But why is it now, again, starting up just fine all of the sudden? Maybe its the PSU? Not really want to go again for a 1300w PSU for roughly 250€ just to find out it is the motherboard...which could involve even more costs than just replacing the board itself (cpu, ram). Is there any diagnostics I can do while the rig is running?

bb

njord88

Post by njord88 » Tuesday 10. May 2016, 02:40

just a question bb, when u press the on and off button, does it make a sound as if its gonna start? our dosent do anything?

Syd
Voro's osito & forums admin

Post by Syd » Tuesday 10. May 2016, 08:17

Did you tried the clip thing when PSU don't work?

I had a similar case with my old computer i used the clip between black and green cable and PSU worked fine, so i checked all components and i find out it was the graphic card.

Do you have any old components to discart failure on them?

Syd
Voro's osito & forums admin

Post by Syd » Tuesday 10. May 2016, 08:29

bierbaer wrote:involve even more costs than just replacing the board itself (cpu, ram). Is there any diagnostics I can do while the rig is running?
You can check voltages on BIOS

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Tuesday 10. May 2016, 08:31

njord88 wrote:just a question bb, when u press the on and off button, does it make a sound as if its gonna start? our dosent do anything?
Yeah I can see and hear the PSU fan starting and stopping within a second or two. After it stops the PC re-attempts to start after like 3-5 seconds or so.

bb

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Tuesday 10. May 2016, 08:37

Syd wrote:Did you tried the clip thing when PSU don't work?

I had a similar case with my old computer i used the clip between black and green cable and PSU worked fine, so i checked all components and i find out it was the graphic card.

Do you have any old components to discart failure on them?
Yeah briefly read about it while I was smoking yesterday. Haven't tested it tho. I'm just wondering that it still starts up at some point and I'm not noticing any other failure behaviour once it is running. So for me it looks like its not getting enough power for the startup procedure.

bb