Computer?

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
Hastien
Commanding Officer

Computer?

Post by Hastien » Monday 2. May 2016, 16:57

S! Gentlemen. it is time to put on your thinking caps for just a few min. Wife has given me the ok to replace the Mac computer and get another PC. I want to hear what the best parts are for building a new one, and maybe a manufactured type. I want it to be a gaming rig. Need at least a terra bit HD, and a solid state for the operating system. I want a good video card and motherboard and you can even suggest ram. Think of what you would like to have built and let me know so i can order and get ready to put together. If it is a manufactored computer, please include the link for the site so I can see it. You wanted me to get a real computer and here is my chance. Also the most important, I will also be needing a monitor. I already have mouse and keyboards that I use for the MAC and are the same for my PC that i use currently so I will not be needing those. The computer build I have 2k to spend. It doesnt all have to be used but gives you rough est. Monitor i have no ideas on prices. I would like to have a 27 inch" or above. My current one is 37" samsung. just what ever you think it best in quality and responce. GL and have fun with this. Oh and my wife likes the computer to be flashy and colorful. Also on the motherboard side of the tower, i will be engraving the name whips to the computer. I usually give the computer a color (which would be orange) but i have not found orange computer lighting for the whips logo. GL

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Re: Computer?

Post by bierbaer » Monday 2. May 2016, 19:22

With $2k you pretty much are capable to build a gaming rig which can last the next 7 to 10 years I guess, depending on how fast the gaming technology evolves. Unfortunately I stopped a long time ago to follow up on hardware so I'm out. Hope we got some knowledgable people in the squad to help ya. I know Dilys was good with that as well, not sure tho if she's still following the hardware trends.

bb

Nozzred

Post by Nozzred » Wednesday 4. May 2016, 06:40

Mobo - Asrock Z170 Extreme7+ socket 1151
Cpu - intel i5 6600 K or i7 6700 K --i7 will last longer since game begin to be able to use all cores.
some thing to cool it with thats not from Intel... Noctua 12s or 14s

RAM 2-pack DDR 4 with 8 GB each for 16 GB with option to get 2 more for 32 GB later.

2 Samsung 950 PRO M.2 256 GB NVMe PCIe SSD in Raid 0 --- cant get faster unless you go mad and get 3 for quickest response possible.
2nd SSD Samsung 850 Evo 512 GB SSD
after that an WD HD 4 TB or bigger, avoid Seagate since they will break...

New line of graphic from both nVidia and Amd is inb so wait with that a couple of month but the new "nVidia 970 - no name on that yett" should probebly be best to get.

Case - like Fractal Design R5 or an Phantek Enthoo Luxe (flashy with lights and window)
You might need to buy 1 or 2 extra fans to the case front

Get a white case if you want to paint it yourself first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOPK-OgvnM
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme7+/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISctEKs71Y

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Thursday 5. May 2016, 00:53

S! Whips. First quick run thru computer parts late last night.

Processor...intel i7 5820
Cooling...Corsair H100i v2 240mm liquid cooler
Ram...ripjaws 16gb ddr4 2800
Power....Thermaltake 850W tpg full modular
Motherboard...Asus x99A/3.1 usb SLI (just in case)
Video Card....Nvidia Gforce 980Ti 4gb Sli capable (just in case)
HD......240 GB SSD + 1 TB HD secondary (combo deal)
Disk...24X dvdrw
Sound.....Xonar 7.1 DSX
Key/Mouse/Pad.....all chroma (already have)
Fans.....5x 120mm fans orange
Case.....Cm Storm Stryker full (white)
Lighting...3 orange sticks (inside) and 2 underneath lighting orange.

I'm going to take off the side panel of case motherboard side and will cut out the whips logo and then take a piece of small plexi-glass to cover and then use lighting to make it glow orange. I usually name all the cases after super hero's. last one was red and purple mix for my daughters computer spawn....She wanted it blood colored.

Monitor....34" Asus RoG Swift PG348Q. I know it is expensive, but the video resolution goes really high and looks cool. Still really havent decided on monitors yet.

almost all stuff is on Newegg.com

Nozzred

Post by Nozzred » Thursday 5. May 2016, 01:13

No need for audiocard on them new Mobo - and if so get a Soundblaster Z instead - Asus drivers is (/&¤(/)&"#"

And a new computer without an M.2 SSD is a waste - one is as fast as 4 SSDs in Raid 0

Samsung M.2 950 Pro NVMe 256 GB as C: and 850 Evo 256 or 512 GB as 2nd for offline games and other stuff.
Buying other brand isnt recommended.
Regular HDs WD and never ever Seagate.

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Thursday 5. May 2016, 10:36

I like your taste in components.. :)

Been using nothing but Asus-Mobos for the past 4 or 5 PCs I've built and I never had problems with them. I tried a Gigabyte a few years ago and that thing died on me after a week. So I instantly went back to Asus and never regretted it.

Good call on the CPU-cooler. I've been using the H60 (2nd edition) for over a year now and I couldn't be happier with it. Got two 120mm fans around the radiator, pulling in air through it at the back and a 240mm fan sitting in the top of the case above it, blowing out the hot air coming through the radiator. Temperatures are amazing with this and the inside of the rig looks so much nicer with just that small CPU-cooler sitting on the Mobo (my case has a side-window and I've installed two white cold cathode ray tubes for aesthetic reasons. What can I say? I'm a nerd at heart :D).

Re: Fans: I'm using Corsair Air Series SP120s and those things are great. A bit more expensive than other fans but I'd highly recommend them. I went for the "high performance"-version because I'm using them to blow air through the radiator (push-/pull-setup), and even those are hardly audible. The regular version generates a bit less air-pressure but is even more quiet. The Corsair-fan that came with the H60 was pretty horrible however. It did generate a lot of pressure/airflow but was way too loud. I didn't even bother re-using it as a case-fan after I got the SP120s.

What I'd do differently with my current setup is probably go for a bigger SSD. Mine is a 130 GB or so OCZ Vector which I got a good deal on back when I built the PC. The size is ok-ish, I guess, but I'm constantly at ~ 90 to 100 GB of space taken up. And most of that is just down to freakin' Windows, since the only other use I have for this thing is as a "temp"-drive to capture videos while playing games.
So today, I'd probably go even bigger than the 240 Gigs you have in mind.

Re: Monitors: Some players report good results using humungous (by monitor-standards) TV screens. Not sure those panels can really cut it in games though. But I will say that bigger is generally better ... especially in WW2ONL. I've upgraded from a 23'' Samsung to a 27'' Asus and even though both only run at 1080, the difference is noticeable. Watching my own air combat videos on YT on my 46-inch TV however does give me some weird cravings for an even bigger monitor ... :D

S.

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Thursday 5. May 2016, 16:53

S! yeah i forgot to redo the SSD on my list when i typed this. I will go with those SSD that you mentioned. Also, does anyone use a SSD for this game. I would like to get away from the traditional Sata HD altogether and go with SSD. I haven't messed with them very much and was wondering if they work well for when running games off them. With NO moving parts they seem to last longer. I never buy Seagate. I bought a HD for work for replacing a HD that went bad in one of the Kiosks That we used for visitors. It lasted 2 days before crapping out. I personally wouldn't have bought it but my mentor at that time was heavy on Seagate. Do what your told type, no opinions wanted type guy. As for the monitor, i was mainly looking for something that would give me the type of display the MAC was giving. It is way more crisp and the colors look way better compared to my PC which sits next to it. The size does matter (which woman say doesnt) when playing WW2. I dont have to strain looking at a bush which I had to do on my smaller screen. But when it starts getting to big, like 40 or above, I have a hard time seeing something on screen that maybe moving off to the side. I try to stay under 37", which i currently have. Would be nice if i could afford 2 curved monitors though, and place them side by side and have 2 video cards pumping out my 2 accounts one on each monitor. 2 years ago i gave 3 PC computers away that I had built to people who didnt have one so they could play games and help their kids learn. All 3 were custom built (no monitors) and were colored after certain super heros. Maybe if I did sell them i could afford those monitors, but my heart was in the right place i think. Any suggestions on cases. A few i looked at have not had very good reviews. They dont have to be white but must be a full tower.

Nozzred

Post by Nozzred » Friday 6. May 2016, 01:57

nVidia has a event today about the new line of graphiccards

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Friday 6. May 2016, 10:58

Hastien wrote: I would like to get away from the traditional Sata HD altogether and go with SSD.
I am not running WW2ONL off my SSD, but I did run Mechwarrior Online from it when I still played that game. It did give me slightly faster loading times, but the effect wasn't nearly as noticeable as the difference between an HDD and an SSD as system drives. So I stopped using my very limited SSD-space for games.

Thing is: WW2ONL's only real nuisance (to me) are those long load-times when you change towns/sectors ("did you know?"). And since that is due to the game loading everything up into RAM, I'm not sure an SSD would give you much of an advantage here. It might very well do that, but since I don't hear my HDD rattling around during "did you know", I never bothered to find out. And once the game is loaded to RAM, the HDD/SSD is out of the equation anyway.. :)

With NO moving parts they seem to last longer.
There were stories out there about SSDs dying after a certain amount of time (like a few years) when I bought mine. Scared me a bit (since a dead system-drive is a real PITA), but so far .... knock on wood. :D From what I understand, SSD-memory can still die on you, even though there are no mechanics involved. Don't know how relevant this is, but I'm still using USB-sticks (same technology IIRC) from 5 or 6 years back and they all work fine. Never had one of those die on me.

I never buy Seagate
I had a Seagate once.. wasn't overly impressed. Since then, nothing but WD. Except my last HDD, which is a 1TB Samsung I got a good deal on. So far it's been working great.

i was mainly looking for something that would give me the type of display the MAC was giving.
Buddies of mine are graphic designers/artists and Mac-fanbois with too much money. They upgraded their video-editing Mac to one of those huge new 4k Mac-monitors and that thing has an incredible picture. The price is also quite incredible, though, and I'm pretty sure this thing would suck in games.
It is way more crisp and the colors look way better compared to my PC which sits next to it.
From my limited experience I have to say that Samsung seems to make some of the nicest panels/displays out there at the moment. My Samsung TV isn't exactly "high end" (bought it reduced from €1000 to €500 in 2014 for the soccer world cup), but with the right picture-settings I found on the web that thing still has a pretty amazing picture. Out of the box-settings were terrible, no idea why Samsung would want to deliver their screens like that. And then there's the display on my Galaxy S6, which incidentally is the highest resolution device I currently own - and it's a freakin' phone!! lol!

Guess what I'm trying to say is: Maybe it's not just the monitor but also down to the settings? Judging from my experience with my TV, it's amazing how much you can improve the image if you know (or in my case: are being told on a website ;) ) which settings to change.

Sascha

Post by Sascha » Friday 6. May 2016, 14:12

This is what I'd buy today:

http://www.snogard.de/produkte/OCZ/NOT0 ... -480G.html

Sorry.. German reseller-page, but you'll get the idea.

€200 for 480 GB on a fast SSD... not bad. My 130 GB one cost €150 or so when I bought it.

And if you're willing to go for an SSD that's a bit slower (490 MB/s read, 450 write instead of 550/530 on the Vector), there's this:

http://www.snogard.de/produkte/OCZ/NOT0 ... -480G.html

480 GB for €150.

But it seems Samsung (once again) is at the top of the field:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-ssd-for-gaming/

So maybe one of theirs?

But wait... there's more!! :D

According to Techpowerup, Crucial SSDs are really, *really* good:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/?cat ... order=date

*shrug*

S.