KVM Switch

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
Hastien
Commanding Officer

KVM Switch

Post by Hastien » Wednesday 11. October 2017, 02:16

S! All.

Ok i got my KVM switch in today. Works like a charm. There is a split second delay switching back and forth but not bad. By the time i look at second computer its already made the switch. I have the 2 monitors hooked straight into computer. reason for this is that the KVM, even though they say it will do HD or 4k it does not do true 4k. If your going to do this in future, make sure to get your keyboard and mouse drivers on both computers and set them up before you make the switch. Side not. I wish they had one that had more USB hook ups. Reason being, the sound jacks (RCA) will not be recognized by your computers as being plugged in. I have the g430 headset with surround sound. If i use the USB hookup it will recognize them as being connected to computers. Problem is only 2 ports on KVM. Not I am going to try a USB 4 port hub and hook it into KVM USB and see if i can get controller mouse keyboard and speakers all hooked and working without any issues for game.

Hopefully this will work because i would like to use just one controller on desk. Plus i am getting they Trackir as well and will have 1 usb hookup left for that.

shagher

Re: KVM Switch

Post by shagher » Wednesday 11. October 2017, 13:43

Goodness... I feel like I am so behind in technology at home...

Eesti
Communication & Recruiting Officer

Post by Eesti » Wednesday 11. October 2017, 13:57

I wish I had just a slight idea of what you are talking about.....

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Post by bierbaer » Wednesday 11. October 2017, 15:06

WIth a KVM switch you basically can run two or more computers with only one set of keyboard, mouse and screen. Looks like Hastien though is only sharing mouse and keyboard to have 4k resolution.
It allows him to switch back and forth Hastien and Hastien2 ;)

bb

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Wednesday 11. October 2017, 16:37

S! yeah i should have explained this a bit more. Sorry. Thanks BB for the simple way of explaining it. Im curious, on the switch itself it had a mouse and keyboard input clearly marked. Dont know if you can hook something else into its spot like the hub. I would love to test this out. If this works no need for 2 controllers and this would also fix the game sound as well.

P.S sorry if i am making you feel a little overwhelmed or behind, I always think gamers know about these things, which is a bad mistake. I hope that you all are not offended.

shagher

Post by shagher » Wednesday 11. October 2017, 17:08

Lol I am not offended Hastien! I think it's cool that you are so good about this stuff. I learn from you and like Eesti sometimes I don't get the whole thing...
Everyone is very good at least at one thing... For me that's not it. :P Power on.... Power off....

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Wednesday 11. October 2017, 20:43

S! A quick funny story to make you feel like a computer god Shagher. When i worked with Boeing my supervisor allowed me to come in on new hires and ask questions about computer and such. We had a women come in and she was going on and on about her computer knowledge. once we got done with the question and answer parts we moved on to a bit of trouble shooting computers and network stuff. We had a router and a modem and 4 computers hook up and asked her to get all the computers onto the internet. One computer was turned off (no power) the other didnt even have the Ethernet cable plugged in. The other 2 were set up correctly but the router did not have the power turned on. Thats all we did. She figured out hooking the corn into the router and even fixed the Ethernet cord but, she could not figure out how to turn the power on to the computers. She tried and tried and could never get them on. She didnt know there was a switch in the back to turn on power supply and you had to push the button. Once we turned on the switch for her, she still didnt know you had to push the button. once we explained it to her, she said, that she just figured that the computers would just come on, because thats the way they were at school. She was a graduate from Yale University. She did not get the job due to her inability to trouble shoot and the constant boosting about her computer tech skills.

shagher

Post by shagher » Thursday 12. October 2017, 02:52

WOOOPS...

Eesti

Post by Eesti » Thursday 12. October 2017, 13:44

a² + b² = c²

Hastien
Commanding Officer

Post by Hastien » Friday 13. October 2017, 20:12

Ok i got the sound fixed and i also got everything working. Now does anyone now anything about how you can run a controller for 2 computers.