Why can't I move volume folders to the dock?

Discuss anything and everything that is NOT about WHIPS or WWIIOL in here...
Johneames
Banned User
Banned User

Why can't I move volume folders to the dock?

Post by Johneames » Friday 6. October 2017, 15:51

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with the El Capitan dock on my iMac - pretty minor but annoying and disruptive to smooth working.

I've recently removed two old external hard drives from my iMac setup, because one was starting to fail. I've replaced them with a new external hard drive, connected to the USB2 port on the iMac. The drive is partioned into 5 volumes. I had a similar arrangement previously with the two old hard drives but one being a single volume, the other 4 volumes.

I would like these partitions plus the internal iMac HDD, Applications and Utilities folder icons on the dock (bottom, in my case, just above Trash) - I had exactly this arrangement previously.

I can add the iMac HDD, Applications and Utilities folder icons to the dock without difficulty, just as before.

However, I can only add 2 of the external HDD partitions. If I try to add a 3rd, it snaps away.

I can, however, add folders from any of those partitions.

I have repaired the permissions on the internal startup HDD. Using Onyx, I have restarted the dock and restored the dock defaults. I've deleted pretty much every cache. I've changed various settings in System Preferences, hoping that might cause a rewrite of a settings file.

The 5 partitions clearly have different BSD names and are all formatted in the same way - Mac OS Extended (Journaled) HFS+. The sharing and permissions are all the same. I've run First Aid from Disk Utility on the drive and the volumes - several times.

Any ideas on how to get all the volume icons onto the dock?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
https://www.mac-help.com/threads/why-ca ... ck.223849/

video animation

bierbaer
Co-Founder

Re: Why can't I move volume folders to the dock?

Post by bierbaer » Friday 6. October 2017, 19:17

While content seems to be legit, I went for the ban as there's no player existing with the name Johneames and his post included advertisment links.

bb